Symbolism in Display

When you are one of many at a convention, Sales show or multi book signing you want something to grab the casual lookers attention.
But ... it also needs to relate to your product. In my case, these days that product is my book series "A Twist of Tobacco" .
Last week I spent four days at the Sons of Confederate Veterans National Reunion and knew that I would be competing for the attention of the attendees. There were antique arms dealers, reenactment clothing dealers, and more books about the civil war than you could shake a stick at.
I really needed something to draw attention to my fact based historical novel.
Here's what I came up with....

Of course the eye catcher is the red white and blue quilt which was made by my great-grandmother who is also featured in my book series.
Then people notice the display board. It contains photos of my ancestors; newspaper clipping of thre brothers who fought for the confederacy in the Civil War; The United Daughters of the Confederacy certificates for 6 of my ancestors and of course the books themselves.
You may wonder about the cluster of non-related objects in the center.
They are significant only on a subliminal level.
The Bonnie Blue Flag of course symbolizes the war.
The wooden spoon denotes so many things for the home front; cooking being the major chore but also (as every southern child knows) a disciplinarian tool.
The brass hames handle represents the farm which sustains not only a way of life but life itself.
And the peach blossoms? Peaches were a staple food.  Sweetened as jam, cooked in pies, eaten fresh for much valued vitamin C. If the peach crop didn't make meals suffered for a year. So the peach blossoms also signify the home front but also the Battle of Shiloh where a major portion of the battle took place amid a blooming Peach Orchard.

Watch the video to hear a great team on banjo and to see some of the happy buyers of A Twist of Tobacco and A Vow Unbroken







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brothers in Arms and for Real