Civil War Era Quilt Family Heirloom

Exciting news........ or at least for me it is exciting.
As I was getting ready for the Sons of Confederate Reunion last week I wanted a table covering that was indicative of the Civil War era. I dug through my old family quilts to see if there was anything that would work. I saw this red, white and blue that satisfied my needs.
It was from my fathers family, on which the "A Twist of Tobacco" series is based. All of the years I have assumed my grandmother made the quilt. She married in 1913 and died in 1959.
 
It looked really nice and distinguished my display from others.
As I sat there for 4 days I became fascinated by the blue print. Now, I have bought and sold vintage and antique fabrics for more than 15 years but I just couldn't place any of these prints.
I took these photos while I was sitting there and posted them to one of my vintage and antique chat boards and can you imagine my surprise when they told me this is a 1860-1880 Victorian indigo cotton.
The response was based on the tiny size of the print. Apparently after 1880 the prints got larger.
So, even though I can't definitively prove who made the quilt and when, I can safely assume it was crafted from craps of clothing that were made during the Civil War-Reconstruction era.
I'm now calling it Marthey's quilt and it will be featured in Heaven's Promise-A Final Twist, the third book in A Twist of Tobacco Series due to be released in November 2016.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brothers in Arms and for Real

Symbolism in Display

Annie Marie Moore Ownby 1928-2014